What is housing disrepair?

If you live in a council house, social housing, or a housing association property, your landlord is obligated to guarantee that your home is safe and functional. When a rented property deteriorates or needs repairs so that it is safe and acceptable to live in, it is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that a basic living standard is maintained.

Housing disrepair claims usually consists of the following issues:

  • Mould or damp problems
  • Pest infestations
  • Leaks & water damage
  • Broken heating systems
  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Internal deterioration
  • Gutters, drains, pipes & structural
  • Broken kitchen & bathroom fittings


Instant Claim Calculator


Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

What are the obligations of a landlord?

Landlords are always responsible for repairs in a reasonable period of time after discovering that the property is not safe or liveable as part of their duty to ensure that your property is safe and liveable.

  • Your property’s structure and exterior, such as the roof, walls and windows
  • Sanitary fittings such as baths, sinks and basins, this also includes pipes and drains
  • Heating and water systems
  • Gas appliances
  • Ventilation
  • Electrical wiring

Your landlord is not legally permitted to charge you for any of the repair work described above, and they are responsible for these repairs independent of your tenancy agreement. Your landlord may also be responsible for additional repairs if they agree, which is determined by your rental agreement.

When can I file a housing disrepair claim?

If your landlord refuses to take care of a property with housing disrepair problems that they are responsible for, you may be able to make a claim against them. To be eligible to submit a claim, you must first notify your landlord about the disrepair, and provide evidence as proof. You can pursue compensation if your landlord fails to make repairs within reasonable

You can submit a housing disrepair claim during your tenancy or after it has ended, but you must do so within six years of giving notice to your landlord about the condition. Personal injury claims must be made within three years following the date you received notification.

It’s crucial to remember that your landlord may not be held responsible for repairs caused by your negligence or misconduct. We currently do not take private landlord claims because, as a general rule, if you’ve used a letting agent or your landlord is an individual we can’t help you.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

What can I get compensated for?

When you submit a claim for disrepair, the court can order your landlord to make the necessary repairs. You may also be compensated for a variety of reasons, such as:

Damage to belongings – If you live in a property with severe repairs that have caused damage or loss of items, you can file for compensation for any losses incurred as a result of the poor condition of the house. You may also request compensation for property damages resulting from landlord-made repair work.

Financial loss – If you have incurred financial loss as a result of your landlord’s negligence in repairing problems, you may be able to seek compensation. If you are in arrears, this will have an impact on your outcome.

Personal injury – If you have been hurt as a result of your landlord’s carelessness, you may file a personal injury claim. This might include respiratory issues due to damp or mould, injuries from slipping or tripping hazards, carbon monoxide poisoning, and other sorts of injuries. We can help with medical records, expert testimony, and court action proceedings.

Inconvenience – compensation for inconveniences such as general disruption to your daily life, not being able to use your home or having to wait for repairs to be carried out.

How do I make a claim for housing disrepair?

We currently specialize in claims against your local council, local authority, social housing and housing associations; unfortunately we are unable to accept complaints from renters against private landlords.

The process of making a claim against your landlord is difficult, which is why you will need the help of a legal expert. If you wish to make a claim then the first thing that you should do is speak with a professional about your situation to find out whether your case meets the criteria for a claim.

You must follow the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims before you can submit a claim. The pre-action procedure describes a series of actions that you must complete before filing your claim. If you do not follow these steps, you risk being fined at a later stage in the litigation process. Attempting to establish an Alternative Dispute Resolution, submitting

If your landlord does not respond to your letter of claim, or if the response is unsatisfactory, you can take legal action by submitting an application to the county court.

How can we assist with housing disrepair claims?

Our housing disrepair solicitors understand how unpleasant and stressful it may be to live with house disrepair, which is why we’re here to assist you. Our legal team specializes in real estate law and has extensive expertise dealing with disrepair claims as well as personal injury claims. With their knowledge, you can get the support and compensation you need.

Because housing disrepair situations are so complicated, it is strongly suggested that you get help from a legal professional. We understand what it takes to file a deserving claim because we are housing disrepair attorneys who specialize in the field.

If you believe your rental property is in such a state of disrepair that it is uninhabitable, we can do an initial evaluation to establish whether you qualify to submit a housing disrepair claim. We can then provide you with dependable legal counsel on what your next actions should be from here. If you decide to proceed with the claim, our team will assist you throughout the procedure, including ensuring that you follow the pre-action protocol, gathering all of the necessary evidence, and defending you at your hearing.

Our solicitors will be there for you throughout the entire process. For more information about the services that we offer, contact our team today on 0333 050 9030 

How much does it cost to claim for housing disrepair?

Filing a claim can be a costly process. Depending on the severity of your case you could be entitled to Legal Aid to help you with these costs, however, Legal Aid funding is only available in cases where there is a serious risk to the health and safety of the tenants living in the property.

If Legal Aid is not available then you will need to cover the costs yourself, the cost varies depending on the court route you take. There are three court routes available, they are known as small claims, fast track and multi-track.

If your claim for compensation is under £10,000 then your case could be heard in small claims court. However, if you are seeking an order for repairs to be made then the case can only be heard in small claims if the cost of repair work is under £1000 and the damages are under £1000. If your case is not eligible for small claims then it will usually be allocated to the fast-track court.

If you win your case then your landlord can be ordered to cover your costs for you.

Court proceedings & fees can vary from case to case, our lawyers can tell you more about the fees that you will need to pay, call us on 0333 050 9030  to claim today.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

Our no win, no fee policy

Whether your landlord is a local authority council, a housing association, or social housing, if they fail to fulfill their obligation of ensuring that you are safe and comfortable in your home, you can sue them for failing to meet their obligations. We would generally seek to file a personal injury lawsuit at the same time because of your bad living circumstances, which include compensatory damages for physical harm.

We feel that everyone should be able to obtain dependable and professional assistance with their housing disrepair difficulties, which is why we provide services on a no-win, no-fee basis. However, if you are a private tenant, you still have rights and we would advise you to review the tenant act before taking legal action or seeking advice from a firm that caters for private tenants with the legal costs covered on a no win no fee basis.

If your case is not successful, though, you will not be charged costs for our housing lawyers services. You won’t have to pay any up-front fees if your case succeeds; instead, the payment will be deduct ed from the financial compensation you receive. A “no win no fee basis,” commonly known as a “conditional fee agreement,” is an arrangement in which you are guaranteed that if you lose your case, you will not owe anything (i.e., there will be no legal costs). We are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and we are neither middlemen nor a claims management company, so working with us directly guarantees that you will receive the greatest possible service.

How much compensation can you get for housing disrepair?

The compensation awarded for housing disrepair claims varies from case to case. Compensation is calculated based on several factors including:

  • How much your rent costs
  • The severity of the disrepair
  • How long the issues have persisted since you informed your landlord

Depending on the situation, you may be compensated for the whole amount of your rent while your property is unusable in some circumstances. If your property is entirely unhabitable, you might be paid 100% of the cost of your rent for as long as the problem persists; however, this is uncommon. On average, you can anticipate to receive damages between 25 and 50 percent of your rent from a compensation claim. Please contact one of our housing disrepair lawyers right now.

Our team of experts are ready to assist you no matter where you live including:

Housing disrepair camden
Housing disrepair hounslow 
Housing disrepair hackney
Housing disrepair barking 
Housing disrepair barnet
Housing disrepair ealing
Housing disrepair greenwich
Housing disrepair lewisham
Housing disrepair newham
Southwark housing disrepair
Housing disrepair lawyers in enfield 
Lambeth housing disrepair lawyers
Housing disrepair shepperds bush 
Housing disrepair Middlesex & Essex 
Housing disrepair solicitors Chelsea 
Haringey housing disrepair lawyers
Housing disrepair Brockley 
Housing disrepair Kensington 
Housing disrepair Wandsworth
Worcester housing disrepair

Frequently asked questions

All tenants are entitled to a safe house. If your landlord fails to make required repairs, you may be able to launch an injury compensation claim if you have been injured, financially harmed, or distressed by the situation. If they’re needed, our housing staff would want a copy of the tenancy agreement, including terms and conditions.

The compensation you could be eligible for is based on how severe your housing disrepair problem is and how long the poor conditions in the property have persisted. Tenants may receive between 25 and 50 percent of their rental payments in most housing disrepair situations. Contact our knowledgeable staff of housing solicitors to find out how much compensation you may get as a result of landlord carelessness, or get in touch with our claims team now.

Yes. Mould may cause a variety of problems, including damage to your belongings and serious health concerns that you may seek compensation for. If the mould in your rental home was caused by a repair problem, you can file a claim for disrepair. Our housing disrepair lawyers can assist you in taking legal action to receive the compensation you deserve due to disrepair.

Before you file a claim against your landlord, you must first follow the disrepair procedure. Attempting to contact an Alternative Dispute Resolution, sending a letter of claim to your landlord, and waiting a reasonable amount of time for a response from your landlord are all part of the protocol. It is critical that you follow the process correctly; our housing lawyers will ensure that all necessary pre-court action procedures for your potential claim are completed.

Yes, you may be able to sue your landlord for damp problems that have caused poor housing conditions in your home. If the wet has harmed your belongings, disrupted your daily routine, or made you ill, for example.

Yes, you may call our legal team and discuss your housing disrepair problem without incurring any charges. Our professional lawyers offer a NO WIN NO FEE agreement.

Depending on the times allowed for landlord responses and procedural timeframes we usually experience cases that settle anywhere between 7-9 months from the initial customer meeting to the payment of compensation.

Yes, we can help you with housing disrepair claims in any area of the United Kingdom, as long as our headquarters are in London. We operate remotely from all cities and towns in the UK, including our housing disrepair lawyers and specialist housing disrepair solicitors who obtain compensation for council tenants and individuals living in social housing or a housing association property. To discuss your problem, contact us immediately.

Yes, in most tenancies repairing obligations are implied into the terms of the tenancy. The repairing obligations require a landlord to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property and keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the property for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, space heating, and heating water.

It is not possible for a landlord to contract out of their repairing obligations.

If you own a leasehold property the freeholder’s repairing obligations will be contained in the terms of your lease.

We may be able to bring a legal claim in the County Court for the repair of issues, as well as monetary compensation, depending on the source of your home’s problems. In some situations, housing disrepair claims can be handled in the Magistrates’ Court.

Our team of specialist disrepair solicitors has experience in assisting individuals who are living in poor housing situations in bringing a claim for housing disrepair. We have successfully brought claims against both local governments and housing associations.

When you contact us we will ask you for details of the housing disrepair issues that you are dealing with. We will also ask you for details of your tenancy. In some instances we may ask you to take pictures of the damage in your home. Once we have gathered the relevant initial information we will be able to let you know whether you can bring a claim for disrepair. We will also discuss funding options available to you.

A housing disrepair solicitor is a qualified lawyer who focuses on assisting tenants in claiming compensation for subpar maintenance standards in privately rented or housing association properties.

When it comes to the maintenance and upkeep of your home your landlord has certain responsibilities.

If they fail to fulfil them, your property may fall into disrepair, which can negatively impact on your well-being and standard of living.

You don’t have to put up with this and Clifford Johnston & Co. can help, so contact us today for a swift resolution to your situation.

It is your legal right to live without constant leaks, damp, rotting windows, a broken boiler, a rodent or cockroach infestation.

If you’ve reported any of these problems to your landlord, and they have not been fixed in a timely manner, you may be eligible to file a claim.

Your landlord is legally responsible for maintaining your property to an acceptable standard, which includes:

  • Carrying out repairs
  • Replacing broken or faulty appliances
  • Ensuring the boiler is working and meets all health and safety regulations
  • Repairing any gas or water leaks
  • Ensuring that your home is free of mould or damp
  • Electrical issues

Failure to meet these legal obligations means that your landlord is in breach of his or her repairing duties which can put you and other tenants at risk in any number of ways including:

  • Asthma and other respiratory conditions caused by damp and mould.
  • Injuries such as cuts, bruises and fractures caused by falling due to poorly maintained floors and walls.
  • Fatalities due to gas leaks and electrical issues.

It is critical that you obtain legal immediate assistance if you or a loved one has suffered from health issues caused by a poorly maintained home. We take the issue of property upkeep seriously, and we will not let you down in your effort to get justice and compensation.

If you spot a fault or problem in your property you need to report it to your landlord as soon as possible.

  • Make the report in writing by letter or email so that you have proof that you have reported the issue and the date it took place.
  • Give your landlord 21 days to respond.
  • Following their response you must give them a reasonable amount of time to carry out the required repairs.

If your landlord has failed to respond to your reports of disrepair, please contact us so that we can advise you on the next steps and help you secure a positive outcome.

We have a wealth of experience dealing with unresponsive landlords and will act on your behalf to reach a resolution as soon as possible.

When your property has deteriorated due to no fault of your own, it might be stressful and cause emotional strain, especially if your health and safety are jeopardized. Our professional team of legal specialists can help you negotiate a settlement with your landlord so that work on the house is completed as soon as possible while also assisting you in receiving the financial compensation to which you are entitled.

You are able to make a claim fir the legal matters to have the initial disrepair fixed as well as any resulting problems including dampness, mould, lack of heating etc.

If your health has been adversely affected because your landlord failed you by failing to fulfil repairing obligations or if you have been injured due to the disrepair in your home we can help you claim.

Up to £14,500 has been awarded in the UK. How much money could you get? The average compensation amount paid is usually between 20% and 50% of the annual rent paid on your property.

The calculation depends on the severity of the problem and the length of time you’ve been affected. Compensation pay-outs are higher if the poor condition of your home led to illness or injury.

Legal fees are often unexpected but you may qualify for legal aid, which would relieve the financial burden. We can advise you on your eligibility and will help with the application process to ensure you have the best possible chance of success.

You may count on our housing disrepair attorneys to provide you with a top-notch team of lawyers who are well-known in the field for providing exceptional legal representation. We represent both landlords and renters in landlord-tenant disputes, as well as clients who request legal aid services.

We are proud of the Housing Disrepair Claims service we provide and the positive difference we make for our clients. Our panel of solicitors, authorised and regulated by the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority in England and Wales, are experts in their fields.

We build lasting relationships with our clients. Most of our work comes from existing clients, referrals and recommendations.

We regularly provide expert legal advice for housing disrepair claims for clients from across the country.

Call our housing disrepair lawyers today or complete the enquiry form and we will get back in touch with you quickly.

Our housing team always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.