Housing disrepair

A housing disrepair claim can be made when the tenant, has reported issues with their home to the landlord. You must give the landlord time to repair the property, however if the landlord fails to carry out the required repairs you can then file a housing disrepair claim for compensation.

If you reside in a council home, social housing, or a housing association property, your landlord is required to make sure your accommodation is suitable for human habitation and functioning properly. When a property deteriorates or necessitates repairs so that it is safe and acceptable to live in, it is the landlord’s duty to provide a reasonable standard of living.

If a property is in disrepair, this means that it requires repairs for it to be determined safe and suitable to live in. This typically applies to rented homes and any other type of rented accommodation.

Instant Claim Calculator

housing disrepair claims


Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

What is my landlord responsible for?

As part of their duty to ensure that your rented property is safe and liveable, landlords are always responsible for repairs in a reasonable period of time to the following:

  • The roof, walls, and windows of your property as well as their structure and appearance
  • This includes everything from bathtubs, toilets, and basins to pipes and drains.
  • Water and heating systems
  • Gas appliances
  • Ventilation
  • Electrical wiring

Your landlord cannot charge you for any of the housing disrepair repair work outlined above and is responsible for these repairs, regardless of what your tenancy agreement says. However, if your landlord agrees to accept responsibility for extra repairs, this is dependent on your tenancy agreement.

When can I make a claim for housing disrepair?

If your landlord refuses to make repairs to your property that they are responsible for then you may be able to make a claim against them.

To be eligible to file a claim, you must have reported the problem to your local council or housing association landlord. You will need to offer proof, and we can assist you with this process. If your landlord has failed to make repairs within reasonable time frames, you may seek compensation from them.

During your tenancy, you can file a housing disrepair claim either before or after it ends, but the person must do so within six years of giving notice to their landlord about the problem. Personal injury claims must be made within three years of getting notification.

Repair faults that occur as a result of your negligence, or doing something unreasonable, are not the responsibility of your landlord. Although we are property disrepair solicitors by trade, we currently do not take private landlord claims because as a rule of thumb if you have utilized a letting agent or your landlord is a person, we may not be able to assist

Take action and open a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

What can I claim for?

When you file a housing disrepair claim with the court, it can order your landlord to make the necessary repairs. You may also be compensated for various reasons, including:

Damage to belongings – You have the right to demand compensation for any items that have been damaged or destroyed as a result of the property’s poor condition. You can also claim for property damage incurred during maintenance work conducted by your landlord.

Financial loss – You can claim for financial compensation as a result of housing disrepair issues, such as your landlord failing to make repairs, if you have suffered financial loss. Note if you are in rent arrears this will impact your outcome.

Personal injury – If you have been injured as a result of your landlord’s negligence then you could make a personal injury claim. Respiratory disorders, injuries caused by falling or tripping hazards, carbon monoxide poisoning, and other kinds of injuries are among the various sorts of injury claims that arise from disrepair. We can assist you with medical reports, expert evidence and court action proceedings.

Inconvenience – You should be compensated for all expenses, such as the inconvenience of a general disruption to your daily routine, not being able to use your house, or having to wait for repairs.

How do I make a claim for housing disrepair?

We currently specialize in claims against your local council, local authority, social housing and housing associations. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept claims from renters against private landlords as a result of our limited scope. Our professional solicitors are available to assist you with the claim procedure if you are a council tenant or a social housing tenant.

The procedure of claiming against your landlord is time consuming, which is why expert housing disrepair solicitors may be useful. If you want to make a claim, the first thing you should do is consult with a professional about your circumstances to determine whether your case qualifies for one.

Before you can make a claim for housing disrepair compensation, you must follow the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims. The pre-action protocol outlines a number of steps that you must follow before you can make your claim. If you fail to follow these steps then you could face sanctions at a later point during proceedings.

The procedure calls for you to attempt to resolve the issue by consulting an Alternative Dispute Resolution, submitting a letter of claim to your landlord, and requesting any documents you require from your landlord.

If your landlord fails to respond you your letter of claim or the response is not satisfactory then you can issue proceedings by applying to the county court.

How can we assist with housing disrepair claims?

We understand how distressing and frustrating it may be to live in a house that is not up to code, and we are here to assist you.

Our housing disrepair team consists of specialist housing disrepair solicitors are experts when it comes to dealing with disrepair cases as well as personal injury claims. With their expertise, you can get the help and compensation that you deserve.

We understand precisely what it’ll take to win a successful compensation claim based on repair concerns as specialist house disrepair lawyers.

We may conduct an initial evaluation of your circumstances to establish the facts and see if you are qualified to submit a housing disrepair claim. Our skilled housing solicitors will then offer you with dependable legal counsel on what your next actions should be.

If you decide that you would like to go ahead with your claim then our team will assist you throughout the process, this includes ensuring that you follow the pre-action protocol, submitting your claim, helping you to gather all of the required evidence and our experts representing you at your hearing.

Our housing solicitor will be there for you throughout the entire process. For more information about the services that we offer, contact our team today on 0333 050 8882 

How much does it cost to file a claim for housing disrepair compensation?

We assist tenants on a NO Win, NO Fee basis which means it won’t cost you any money to claim housing disrepair compensation with us.

If you want to file a claim, it is likely to be costly. You may qualify for legal aid to assist with these expenses, but legal aid funding is only available in situations where there is a substantial risk to the health and safety of the tenants living in the property.

If Legal Aid isn’t available, you’ll need to pay for the expenses yourself. The cost varies depending on which court route you choose. Small claims, fast track, and multi-track are three possible court routes.

If your claim is under £10,000, it will be determined in small claims court. If you’re asking for repairs to be done and the cost of repair work is less than £1000, and the damages are likewise less than £1000, your case can only be heard in small claims court. If your lawsuit does not meet the requirements for small claims, it will usually go to the fast-track court.

If you win your case then your landlord can be ordered to cover your costs for you.

Court proceedings & fees can vary from case to case, our lawyers can tell you more about the legal fees that you would need to pay if you are not NO Win, NO Fee eligible, call us on 0333 050 8882  to claim today.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

Our no win, no fee policy

Whether your landlord is a local authority council, social housing or a housing association, if they fail to carry out their responsibility of ensuring that you are safe and comfortable in your home, you can sue them for the detrimental living circumstances, which would include compensation for personal injury. We would generally seek to file a personal injury claim at the same time as your disrepair claim if your landlord is not fulfilling his or her duty of care toward you.

We think that everyone should have access to dependable and professional help with their housing disrepair concerns, which is why we work on a no-win, no-fee basis with our conditional fee agreements. If you have an eligible claim,

Please be advised that we are unable to assist you if you are a private tenant renting from a private landlord, but you still have rights and would be wise to familiarize yourself with the Tenant Act before taking any legal action or seeking advice from a firm that specializes in housing disrepair claims since you may be responsible for your own legal costs.

To clarify this, if you lose your case and it is appealed, we do not charge legal fees for our services. If you win your case, no up-front expenses are required; instead, the payment will be deducted from your compensation.

A ‘no win no fee basis, is formally known as a conditional fee agreement. We are regulated by the solicitors regulation authority, we are not middlemen nor are we a claims management company so by working with us directly you will receive the best possible service.

We can also help with housing disrepair claims in wales 

How much compensation can I receive for housing disrepair?

The amount of compensation granted for housing disrepair claims is determined on a case-by-case basis. The compensation is calculated using a variety of criteria, including:

  • How much your rent costs
  • The degree of disrepair
  • How long the issues have persisted since you informed your landlord

If your property is completely uninhabitable, such as no kitchen, heating system or washing facilities, you may be compensated entirely for the cost of your rent throughout the duration that the problem has persisted. In most situations, you can anticipate to receive between 25% and 50 percent of your monthly rent in compensation.

If you rent your home and it is in disrepair, you can seek compensation for any inconvenience, discomfort, and suffering that you have endured. If you are tenant living in a rented property, your landlord is required by housing law to ensure:

The following are some of the most typical problems associated with housing disrepair:

  • Mould or damp problems
  • Pest infestations
  • Leaks & water damage
  • Broken heating systems
  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Internal deterioration
  • Gutters, drains, pipes & structural
  • Broken kitchen & bathroom fittings

Frequently asked questions

A housing disrepair claim can be made when the tenant, has reported issues with their home to the landlord. You must give the landlord time to repair the property, however if the landlord fails to carry out the required repairs you can then file a housing disrepair claim for compensation.

You may be eligible for housing disrepair claims compensation if you rent your property and it is in poor condition.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • mould or damp problems
  • pest infestations
  • leaks & water damage
  • broken heating systems
  • faulty electrical wiring
  • internal deterioration
  • damaged gutters, drains & pipes
  • structural issues
  • broken kitchen & bathroom fittings

Yes, every tenant has the right to a safe home. If your landlord fails to make necessary repairs, you may be eligible for a legal aid compensation claim for property damage, personal injury, financial loss, or annoyance if you cannot live in your residence as a result of their negligence. Our housing team will need to see a copy of the tenancy agreement with the terms included on request.

Yes. Mould may cause a variety of problems, including harm to your possessions and major health issues that you can seek compensation for. If the mould in your rental home was caused by a repair problem, you can make a claim for disrepair. Our housing disrepair lawyers can assist you in taking legal action to receive the money you are owed.

Our team of professional disrepair solicitors excels in assisting individuals who are living in poor housing circumstances to file a claim for housing disrepair. We’ve successfully brought claims against local councils, housing associations, and private landlords.

No, your landlord can not evict you for making a housing disrepair claim and if they do the eviction would be classed as illegal and you would be eligible to claim further compensation, further more we only assist council and housing association tenants. If you are a private renter your landlord may instruct tenancy eviction solicitors against you if you owe rent.

Medical negligence is another arm of our business, with a team of medical negligence solicitors  that are experienced in dealing with medical negligence cases.

We have a proven track record of success, and our team has the expertise to represent clients both locally and nationally. If you or someone close to you has been affected by medical negligence, then get in touch today for a free initial consultation.